No matter cuddly or ferocious, tamed or wild there is something about animals that is captivating. We’ve had the pleasure of seeing a variety of animals on our travels and I can’t ever resist “oohing” and “awwing” at their cuteness and beautiful features. Michael always laughs at me because each time we see an animal I turn into a giddy little girl. Here are our favorites! (Do you have any favorites? Share them below!)
5. Cahuita, Costa Rica – The Jaguar Rescue Center is home to a lot of interesting creatures. Some rare, some common. Some colorful, others carefully camouflaged. However, this guy stole the show and my heart. At just 3 months old, this orphaned sloth was just too precious!
4. Cusco, Peru – Peru was my first trip out of the U.S. Needless to say, I was both shocked and thrilled to meet this little alpaca in the streets of Cusco! Could you imagine strolling the streets of New York with animals – the four-legged kind!
3. Cape Town, South Africa – Great White Sharks are not really up for cuddling, but I would if they’d let me! These majestic creatures are beautifully terrifying from behind the relative safety of a steel cage! I hope to be face to face with them again IN the cage!
2. Chiang Mai, Thailand – Our day at The Elephant Park outside of Chiang Mai has forever changed me. These rescued Asian elephants are memorable creatures, and their story and the people associated with them are even more unforgettable!
1. Etosha National Park, Namibia – Is it any wonder why the King of the Jungle tops our list? To see lions in their natural habitat is to see nature at it’s finest. We spotted this juvenile male during a night drive. He stood watch over his pride’s late night snack and warded off hyena and other scavenger animals, all without messing up his great hair.